On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that most of these complications go away to a remarkable degree if
> you combine katta style random assignment of small shards.
>
> The major simplifications there include:
>
> - no need to move individual documents, nor to split or merge shards, no
> need for search-server to search-server communications

Yeah, keeping shards smaller allows cluster growth (to some degree)
w/o getting into shard splitting.
Until a single core can handle multiple shards though, this isn't too practical.

While I think we should eventually support this model, I don't think
we want to limit ourselves to it.
The idea is to also support the type of cluster architectures that
people have today.  And yes, I think that does cause complications :-)

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com