Cool, we want to examine certain fields of a docset which currently is a
multivalued field, obviously only the first value gets loaded into field
cache.

But if a poly field that can be loaded into FC, then that will work, we can
extend FC to return an Field[] and make that cache aware.

Sorting on multivalued is definitely a subjective matter that a function
query would rock in, having an FC or VS that supports is would make that
much easier, like say events where an event can have multiple dates,
sort_date_compared(performance_dates, NOW)

Or even distances from a poly, polyDistance(convexHull, point) or
polyDistance(center, point) etc..