I think something would definitely be useful.
Something *short* that people will read and can actually follow.
Something that tells them what we will ask first in trying to diagnose
a problem.
Something/somewhere that they will be likely to run across before
posting a question.

Maybe right near the top of the solr faq or something?
Along the lines of "If you're having a problem with X, ... post to
solr-user with A B, C"
We should keep the list small, or give different lists depending on
the problem. We don't want people to have to fill out a 10 page form
to ask for help :-)

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com