: Yep, those users probably already hate our backwards tests and the
: contrib tests too.

probably ... which is just another reason why it probably makes sense
sense to move "core" stuff from Lucene-Java into it's own "module" along
side solr, and other modules that get refactored out of Solr or the
existing contribs.

But back to my first point: these types of issues are why some discussions
are warranted about what the plan should be for automated builds,
releasees, point-release branching, etc... before we pick a directory
structures.

"trunk" is nothing more then a convention in SVN, so we could decide that
Solr should live under /lucene/yatzee/solr and Lucene-Java should live
under /lucene/bigfoot/java, and branches and tags of both should live in
"/lucene/whatsallthisnow/somestuff, but if that doesn't actually make
progress any easier there's not much point.  -- Likewise, ther's not much
point in picking between any of the other structures suggested so far
unless we have a clear idea how we're going to use them.

structure should follow function.

-Hoss