: At some point, it would be simpler to write a custom response handler
: and generate the output in your desired XML format.

I think Walters got the right idea ... as a general rule, we want to make
the XmlResponseWriter "bullet proof" so that no matter waht data you put
into your index, it is garunteed to produce a well formed XML document
that conforms to a specified DTD, or XSD (see SOLR-17 for one we already
have but we haven't figured out what to do with yet)

But I can certainly understand your use case: you know you have
wellformed XML values in some fields, and want to be able ot apply
a simple XSL transform on the whole response, and use XPath selectors to
pull data out of your response fields.

the best approach i can think of that should work for you out of the box
is what you already said: two XSL trnasforms ... one can be applied
on the Solr server using the qt=xslt response -- just create an XSL that
generates XML and unescapes the fields you know will contain wellformed
XML data -- then apply your second transform client side (or using a
proxy)

if you're interested in writing a bit of custom java code you could in
fact write a new FieldType (which could easily subclass TextField) with a
custom "write" method that just outputs the raw value directly, and then
load your field type as a plugin...

        http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPlugins

-Hoss