This is good information, thanks Chris.  My preference was to keep things
separate, just needed some external info from others to back me up.

thanks,
jeff

On 1/7/07, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't know if there really are any general purpose best practices ... it
really depends on use cases -- the main motivation for allowing JNDI
context specification of the solr.home location so that multiple instances
of SOlr can run in a single instace of a servlet container was so that if
you *wanted* to run multiple instances in a single JVM, they could share
one heap space, and you wouldn't have to "guess" how much memory to
allocate to multiple instances -- but wether or not you *want* to have a
single instance or not is really up to you.

the plus side (as i mentioned) is that you can throw all of your available
memory at that single JVM instance, and not worry about how much ram each
solr instance really needs.

the down side is that if any one solr instance really gets hammered to
hell by it's users and rolls over and dies, it could bring down your other
solr instances as well -- which may not be a big deal if in your use cases
all solr instances get hit equally (via a meta searcher) but might be
quite a big problem if those seperate instances are completely independent
(ie: each paid for by seperate clients)

personally: if you've got the resources (money/boxes/RAM) i would
recommend keeping everything isolated.

(the nice thing about my job is that while i frequently walk out of
meetings with the directive to "make it faster", I've never been asked to
"make it use less RAM")

-Hoss