Thanks Hoss - it is a finite list, but in the tens of thousands.  I'm going
to easy route -- adding another field that indexes the terms with no
included whitespace.  This is used in an ajax-style lookup, so it works for
this scenario.  Not something I'd normally do in a typical index, for sure.

thanks,
jeff