On Feb 22, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Walter Underwood wrote:

On 2/22/07 1:37 PM, "Jack L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I wonder what happens if I change the schema after some documents
have been inserted? Is this allowed at all? Will the index become
corrupted if I add/remove some fields? Or change the field properties?

The schema just controls the input mapping. After the fields
are indexed, the schema doesn't control them.

However I think things would get funky if you remove some fields from the schema that are in the index, and then a document with fields not in the schema gets returned... no?

I suggest, Jack, that you look into the dynamic field feature. You can have fields mapped in the schema with a wildcard, such as *_text. Then your client can add anything_text it likes. No need to remove from the schema.

I guess I'm weary of a mismatch between an index and the schema, and can't say that I recommend that at this point without seeing where it may have issues.

        Erik