I don't recommend defaulting to AND. This will increase the number
of failed searches (no hits) for your users. If one word is misspelled
in a multi-word AND query, you'll get no results. Since About 10% of
queries are misspelled and about half of queries are multi-word, that
will immediately increase your failed queries by five percentage points.

wunder