Here's the Solr Wiki on collection distribution:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution

It describes the "incremental" nature of the distribution:

A collection is a directory of many files. Collections are distributed
to the slaves as snapshots of these files. Each snapshot is made up of
hard links to the files so copying of the actual files is not
necessary when snapshots are created. Lucene only significantly
rewrites files following an optimization command. Generally, a file
once written, will change very little if at all. This makes the
underlying transport of rsync very useful. Files that have already
been transfered and have not changed do not need to be re-transferred
with the new edition of a collection.

Bill