paladin:/data/solr mtorgler1$ curl http://localhost:8080/solr/update --data-binary articles.xml <result status="1">org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: only whitespace content allowed before start tag and not a (position: START_DOCUMENT seen a... @1:1)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1519)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1395)

My guess is you have some funny character at the start of the document. I have seen funny chars show show up when i edit a UTF-8 file and save it as ASCII. If you don't see it in your normal editor, try a different one.

If that does not help, start with the working example and add modify a little bit at a time...

ryan