Mike - thanks for the comments.  Some responses added below.

On 6/7/07, Mike Klaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've implemented a highly-distributed search engine using Solr (200m
docs and growing, 60+ servers).   It is not a Solr-based solution in
the vein of FederatedSearch--it is a higher-level architecture that
uses Solr as indexing nodes.  I'll note that it is a lot of work and
would be even more work to develop in the generic extensible
philosophy that Solr espouses.

Yeah, we've done the same thing in the .Net world, and it's a tough slog.
We're in the same situation -- making our solution generically extensible is
pretty much a non-starter.

In terms of the FederatedSearch wiki entry (updated last year), has
> there
> been any progress made this year on this topic, at least something
> worthy of
> being added or updated to the wiki page?  Not to splinter efforts
> here, but
> maybe a working group that was focused on that topic could help to
> move
> things forward a bit.

I don't believe that absence of organization has been the cause of
lack of forward progress on this issue, but simply that there has
been no-one sufficiently interested and committed to prioritizing
this huge task to work on it.  There is no need to form a working
group (not when there are only a handful of active committers to
begin with)--all interested people could just use solr-dev@ for
discussion.

That makes sense, just didn't want to bombard the list with the subject if
it was a detractor from the core project, i.e. keep lucene messages on
lucene, solr messages on solr, etc.  The good-community-participant
approach, if you will.

Solr is an open-source project, so huge features will get implemented
when there is a person or group of people devoted to leading the
charge on the issue.  If you're interested in being that person,
that's great!

Glad to jump in, not sure I qualify as such for that, but certainly a big
cheerleader nonetheless.