Not sure if this would help you, but we encountered java heap OOM issues
with 1.1 earlier this year.  We patched solr with the latest bits at the
time, which included a lucene memory fix for java heap OOM issues.  (
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-754)

Different servlet container (Tomcat 5.5) and we're running JRE 5 v9.

After applying the update to the solr bits that included the patch mentioned
above, OOM has never re-appeared.

-- j