OK.

So a followup question..

?q=department_exact:Apparel%3EMen's% 20Apparel*&fq=country_code:US&fq=brand_exact:adidas&fq=hibernated:true

returns 0 results. Note the %20 in there for the space character.

?q=department_exact:Apparel% 3EMen's*&fq=country_code:US&fq=brand_exact:adidas&fq=hibernated:true returns several, and the only change is that I've truncated "Men's Apparel*" to be "Men's*".

(example department_exacts from this result set below..)

Apparel>Men's Apparel>Sweatshirts>Hooded
Apparel>Men's Apparel>Shirts>Tank Top>Workout
Apparel>Men's Apparel>Sweatshirts
Apparel>Men's Apparel>Sweatshirts
Apparel>Men's Apparel>Jackets>Windbreaker

----

Any ideas why "Apparel>Men's*" would work, but "Apparel>Men's Apparel*" would not?