: chance to look into it deeper.  What I have noticed is when there are
: Searchers registered commits take a lot longer time.  Perhaps looking at

that's probably the warming time taken to reopen the new searcher ...
waitSearcher="false" should cause those commits to reutrn much faster (the
down side being that if you are waiting for hte commit to finish so you
can then go query the updated index, you aren't waiting long enough)

: the optional attributes for commit (waitSearcher, waitFlush) would help.
:
: Since we use post.jar I believe the <commit/> command is not modifiable
: ie. waitSearcher=true, waitFlush=true are assumed. (Can someone confirm
: this?)

the string "<commit/>" is hardcoded into the post.jar code ... but you
could also use post.jar to send your own commit command ...

   java -Ddata=args -jar post.jar '<commit waitSearcher="false" />'

-Hoss