The other problem is that after some time we get a "Too Many Open Files" error when autocommit fires.

Have you checked your ulimit settings?

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-48921635adf2c968f7936dc07d51dfb40d638b82

ulimit -n <number>.

As mike mentioned, you may also want to use 'single' as the lockType. In solrconfig set:

<indexDefaults>
  <lockType>single</lockType>
</indexDefaults>

I could of course switch to using the Solr webapp since we're running in Tomcat anyway, however I really like the ability to have a single WAR file that contains everything and also not have to worry about actually making HTTP requests and the complexity that adds.

This sounds like a good candidate to try solrj:
 http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj

This way you write your app independent of how you connect to solr. It also takes care of the XML parsing for you and lets you work with objects rather then strings.

ryan