Thanks, I ran into the problem when I issued the commit command to the
SOLR search server.

-----Original Message-----
From: J.J. Larrea [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 2:29 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: NFS Stale handle in a distributed SOLR deployment

Sometimes one has to make things work in the environment one is handed
(e.g. virtualized servers, ALL storage resources resident on a SAN and
accessed via NFS, read-only mounts on the deployment instances with only
the production indexers having write access).  While I agree that fast
local index storage is best, with enough RAM allocated inside the Solr
JVM to allow adequate caching and enough outside the JVM to allow
adequate kernel disk buffering, the deleterious effects of network
throughput and latency can be reduced, and there are public deployed
Lucene- and Solr-based sites which operate as described above, yet
perform acceptably.

To avoid the stale filehandle problem you need to have Solr create a new
Lucene IndexReader and close the old one, after any update that deletes
files, e.g. whenever the index is optimized.  This is done in Solr by
sending a <commit> message to the search server's update handler, as
encapsulated in the bin/readercycle script.  You can specify in
solrconfig.xml that the indexing instance should trigger a script upon
every commit or optimize, and that script could cause the search servers
to readercycle.

Though the Solr Wiki CollectionDistribution and OperationsTools pages
are written from the standpoint of indexes being efficiently copied to
each search server directly rather than automagically distributed via
NFS, they should explain enough about the underlying scripts to get you
started:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrOperationsTools

- J.J.