On 9/19/07, Laurent Hoss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We want to (mis)use facet search to get the number of (unique) field
> values appearing in a document resultset.

We have paging of facets, so just like normal search results, it does
make sense to list the total number of facets matching.

The main problem with implementing this is trying to figure out where
to put the info in a backward compatible manner.  Here is how the info
is currently returned (JSON format):

 "facet_fields":{
        "cat":[
           "camera",1,
           "card",2,
           "connector",2,
           "copier",1,
           "drive",2
          ]
},

Unfortunately, there's not a good place to put this extra info without
older clients choking on it.  Within "cat" there should have been
another element called "values" or something... then we could easily
add extra fields like "nvalues":

"cat":{
         "nvalues":5042,
         "values":[