On 10/8/07, David Whalen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Do you see any requests that took a really long time to finish?
>
> The requests that take a long time to finish are just simple
> queries.  And the same queries run at a later time come back
> much faster.
>
> Our logs contain 99% inserts and 1% queries.  We are constantly
> adding documents to the index at a rate of 10,000 per minute,
> so the logs show mostly that.

Oh, so you are using the same boxes for updating and querying?
When you insert, are you using multiple threads?  If so, how many?

What is the full URL of those slow query requests?
Do the slow requests start after a commit?

> > Start with the thread dump.
> > I bet it's multiple queries piling up around some
> > synchronization points in lucene (sometimes caused by
> > multiple threads generating the same big filter that isn't
> > yet cached).
>
> What would be my next steps after that?  I'm not sure I'd
> understand enough from the dump to make heads-or-tails of
> it.  Can I share that here?

Yes, post it here.  Most likely a majority of the threads will be
blocked somewhere deep in lucene code, and you will probably need help
from people here to figure it out.

-Yonik