OK, this simplifies things greatly.  For C#, the proper culture setting for
interaction with Solr should be Invariant.

Basically, the primary requirement for Solrsharp is to be
"culturally-consistent" with the targeted Solr server to ensure proper
data-type formatting.  Since Solr is culturally-agnostic, Solrsharp should
be so as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

On 10/17/07, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : This is exactly the scenario.  Ideally what I'd like to achieve is for
> : Solrsharp to discover the culture settings from the targeted Solr
> instance
> : and set the client in appropriate position.
>
> well ... my point is there shouldn't be any cultural settings on the
> "targeted" Solr server that the client needs to know about.
>
> the communication between the server and any clients should always be in a
> fixed format independent of culture.  Any (hypothetical) culture specific
> settings the server has to have might affect teh functionality, but
> shouldn't affect the communication (ie: for the purposes of date
> rounding/faceting the Solr server might be configured to know what
> timezone to use for rounding to the nearest day is, or what Locale to use
> to compute the first first day of the week, but when returning that info
> to clients it should still be stringified in an abolute format (UTC)

: multi-lingual systems across different JVM and OS platforms.  If it *were*