I'm trying to obtain faceting information based on the first 'x' (lets say
100-500) results matching a given (dismax) query.  The actual documents
matching the query are not important in this case, so intuitively the
simplest approach I can think of would be to limit the result set to 'x'
documents.

Unfortunately I can't find any easy way to limit the number of documents
matched (and returned in the set).  It might be possible to achieve the
desired result by using a function query + filter query, however that seems
a but hack-ish and hopefully I've missed something basic that leads to a
simpler solution.

Apologies if this has already been discussed / solved before.

Thanks,
Piete