According to the guy in their booth,  they support federated searches
on engines that support OpenSearch (meaning you can use their
federation tool to search content indexed by search engines that have
an OpenSearch interface -- e.g., A9)  but SearchServer '08 does NOT
have an OpenSearch interface to it's native search functionality.  You
can write one using .NET or have one of their partners develop one for
you.

Bill