In addition to recording which keywords a document contains, the method
examines the document collection as a whole, to see which other documents
contain some of those same words. this algo should consider documents that
have many words in common to be semantically close, and ones with few words
in common to be semantically distant. This simple method correlates
surprisingly well with how a human being, looking at content, might classify
a document collection. Although the algorithm doesn't understand anything
about what the words *mean*, the patterns it notices can make it seem
astonishingly intelligent.

When you search an such  an index, the search engine looks at similarity
values it has calculated for every content word, and returns the documents
that it thinks best fit the query. Because two documents may be semantically
very close even if they do not share a particular keyword,

Where a plain keyword search will fail if there is no exact match, this algo
will often return relevant documents that don't contain the keyword at all.

- Eswar