: I should have Googled better. It seems that my question has been asked
: and answered already, and not just once:

right, wildcard and prefix queries aren't analyzed by the query
parser (there's more on the "why" of this in the Lucene-Java FAQ).

To clarify one other part of your question....

: > Also, when I use the Field Analysis tool for description:Deck*, it
: > shows the following (sorry for the bad copy/paste):

the analysis tool only shows you the "analysis" portion of
indexing/querying ... it knows nothing about which query parser you are
using, so it doesn't know anything about any special query parser
characters (like "*").  The output it gave you shows you want the
standard request handler would have done if you'd used the standard
request handler to search for...
or:      description:Deck\*

(where the * character is 'escaped')

-Hoss