It seemed handy in the mentioned case where its not certain if there are
products in each of the budgetcategories so you simply ask them all, and
only get back the categories which contain at least 1 product.

>From a functional perspective to me that's kind of on par with doing
facet.mincount=1 (the only difference being that the data just doesn't
happen to be in 1 field). However, the client ideally shouldn't need to
bother with that difference imho.

Cheers,
Geert-Jan