How much data are we talking about here? Because it seems *much* simpler
to just index a field with each document indicating the user and then just
AND that user's ID in with your query.

Or think about facets (although I admit I don't know enough about facets
to weigh in on its merits, it's just been mentioned a lot).

Keeping track of 1,000+ indexes seems like a maintenance headache, but
much depends upon how much data you're talking about.

When replying, the number of documents is almost, but not quite
totally, useless unless combined with the number of fields you're
storing per doc, the average length of each field, etc <G>.....

Erick