Solr provides a few scripts to create a multiple-machine deployment. One box
is setup as the master (used primarily for writes) and others as slaves.
Slaves are added as per application requirements. The index is transferred
using rsync. Look at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution for
details.

You can put the slaves behind a load balancer or share the slaves among your
front-end servers to measure performance.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.