I did try with the latest nightly build. The problem still exists.
I tested with the example data that comes with solr package.
1)with termsourcefield set to 'word' which is string fieldtype
q=iped nano   returns   'ipod nano' which is good

2) with termsourcefield set to 'spell' (which is the catchall field of
'spell' fieldtype according to the tutorial
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckerRequestHandler
that has my text fields copied in to it at index time)
q=grapics returns 'graphics' which is good
but q=grapics card returns nothing.

Not sure if i'm missing something. Please help!!