Verity had a function called "profiler" which was essentially an inverted search engine. Instead of evaluating a single query at a time against a large corpus of documents, the profiler evaluated a single document at a time against a large number of queries. This kind of functionality is used for alert notifications, where a large number of users can have their own queries and as documents are indexed into the system, the queries are matched and some kind of notification is made to the owner of the query (e-mail, SMS, etc). Think "Google Alerts".

I'm wondering if anybody has implemented this kind of functionality with Solr, and if so what strategy did you use? If you haven't implemented something like that I would still be interested in ideas on how to do it with Solr, or how to perhaps use Lucene to patch that functionality into Solr? I have my own thoughts, but they are still a bit primitive, and I'd like to throw it over the transom and see who bites...

George Everitt
Applied Relevance LLC