Is there any interest/activity for SOLR to provide a restricted view of an
index, making only certain fields available/public, depending on the identity
of the requesting client?  Certain information in our index is confidential
and should only be accessible to certain individuals/groups,

Another ad hoc approach...

We already had a servlet that 'fronts' the Solr web service, so for us it was pretty easy to do something similar to your use case. We map a user to a list of groups (using LDAP), and then make that a required clause in the Solr request, against a field that contains allowable groups.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler
Krugle, Inc.