I'm evaluating SOLR/Lucene for our needs and currently looking at performance
since 99% of the functionality we're looking for is provided. The index
contains 18.4 Million records and is 58Gb in size. Most queries are
acceptably quick, once the filters are cached. The filters select one or
more of three subsets of the data and then intersect from around 15 other
subsets of data depending on a user subscription.

We're returning facets on several fields, and sometimes a blank (q=*:*)
query is run purely to get the facets for all of the data that the user can
access. This information is turned into browse information and can be
different for each user.

Running performance tests using jMeter sequentially with a single user,
these blank queries are slower than the normal queries, but still in the
1-4sec range. Unfortunately if I increase the number of test threads so that
more than one of the blank queries is submitted while one is already being
processed, everything grinds to a halt and the responses to these blank
queries can take up to 125secs to be returned!

This surprises me because the filter query submitted has usually already
been submitted along with a normal query, and so should be cached in the
filter cache. Surely all solr needs to do is return a handful of fields for
the first 100 records in the list from the cache - or so I thought.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this dramatic slowdown? Any
suggestions for solutions would be gratefully received.

Thans
Andy.