You changed the positionIncrementGap to reduce index size....?  Hm, maybe I'm
forgetting something at the moment, but I don't think this will make any
difference with index size, just with token offsets noted at index time.  Are
you referring to term index interval (normally 128 by default, I believe, but
changeable, at least directly in Lucene)?  That is one thing that would have
some effect on the index size (but unfortunately also on search performance).

Depending on how big those stored fields are, yes, perhaps it would make sense
to keep those elsewhere (e.g. BDB, RDBMS).  This would make a difference for
index optimization - fewer bytes would have to be read from and then written
back to disk.

Otis