Hi Ben,

If I had to do this, I would start by adding a custom
javax.servlet.Filter into Solr. It should work fine since all you're
doing is replacing characters in the q parameter for requests coming
into /select handler. It's a bit hackish but that's exactly what
you're trying to do :)

Don't know if there's an alternate/easier way.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.