From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:48 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr cloud performance degradation with billions of documents

Several points:

1> Have you considered using the MapReduceIndexerTool for your ingestion?
Assuming you don't have duplicate IDs, i.e. each doc is new, you can spread
your indexing across as many nodes as you have in your cluster. That said, it's
not entirely clear that you'll gain throughput since you have as many nodes as
you do.

2> Uhhhhm, fitting this many documents into 6G of memory is ambitious.
2> Very
ambitious. Actually it's impossible. By my calculations:
bq: 4 separate and individual clouds of 32 shards each so 128 shards in
aggregate

bq:  inserting into these clouds per day is 5 Billion each in two clouds, 3
Billion into the third, and 2 Billion into the fourth so we're talking 15B
docs/day

bq: the plan is to keep up to 60 days...
So were talking 900B documents.

It just won't work. 900B/128 docs/shard is over 7B documents/shard on average.
Your two larger collections will have more than that, the two smaller ones
less. But it doesn't matter because:
1: Lucene has a limit of 2B docs per core(shard), positive signed int.
2: It ain't gonna fit in 6G of memory even without this limit I'm pretty sure.
3: I've rarely heard of a single shard coping with over 300M docs without
performance issues. I usually start getting nervous around 100M and insist on
stress testing. Of course it depends lots on your query profile.

So you're going to need a LOT more shards. You might be able to squeeze some
more from your hardware by hosting multiple shards on for each collection on
each machine, but I'm pretty sure your present setup is inadequate for your
projected load.

Of course I may be misinterpreting what you're saying hugely, but from what I
understand this system just won't work.

Best,
Erick