Please reference the below images:

<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4153863/Schema.png>

<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4153863/SolrDescriptionSchemaBrowser.png>

<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/file/n4153863/SolrDescriptionDebugResults.png>

As you can see from the first image, the text field-type doesn't define the
omitNorms flag, meaning it is set to false. Also on the first image you can
see that the description field doesn't define the omitNorms flag, again
meaning it is set to false. (Default for omitNorms is false). This can all
be confirmed on the second image, where the Properties and Schema rows have
omitNorms set to checked.
I am having some issues understanding why some results have a fieldNorm set
to 1 for matches on the description field. As you can see from the third
image, the description field has a rather large number of terms in it, yet
the fieldNorm is being set to 1.0 for matching 'supply' on the description
field. My guess is that the Omit Norms flag for the 'Index' row is causing
the issue.
Questions:

>From the first picture, can anyone tell me what each row (Properties, Schema
and Index) refers to? I think the Properties row refers to the flags set
when defining the Field Type, which for this field is text. The Schema row
refers to the flags set when defining the field, which is description. I'm
not as sure where the Index row flags come from, but I'm assuming it defines
what the index is really representing?
Am I right in assuming the Omit Norms flag in the Index row of the first
picture is what is causing fieldNorm issues in the second image?
If I am correct in the above question, how do I fix it?
Additional information:

I am not using the standard request handler. I am using a custom request
handler that uses eDisMax.
The description_sortAlpha field that the description field is copying to is
a text field *but* it has omitNorms set to true
My Index Analyzers for the description field are:
WhitespaceTokenizerFactory, StopFilterFactory, WordDelimiterFilterFactory,
LowerCaseFilterFactory and RemoveDuplicatesTokenFIlterFactory, in that order
My Query Analyzers for the description field are:
WhitespaceTokenizerFactory, SynonymFilterFactory, StopFilterFactory,
WordDelimiterFilterFactory, LowerCaseFilterFactory and
RemoveDuplicatesTokenFilterFactory, in that order.
The description field is not the only text field to be having this omit
norms issue for the Index row. There are actually a couple of others.
Thanks,
-Tim