I've just been doing some experimentation with the ExternalFileField. I ran
into obstacles due to some apparently incorrect documentation in the wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Working+with+External+Files+and+Processes

It seems that for some reason the <fieldType> and <field> definitions are
mashed together there. It felt wrong, but I tried it since it was in the
official docs... and, of course, it didn't work.

Fortunately, this blog post helped me out, and I was able to get everything
working:

http://1opensourcelover.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/solr-external-file-fields/

Anyway, I'm not writing this to complain - I'd just like to help fix the wiki.
However, since I'm no expert on this functionality, and I have no Confluence
experience, so I thought I'd post here before taking any action.

1.)    Am I able to edit the wiki? I signed up, but I don't see any edit
options - just "leave a comment." I assume this means I have no rights, but it
might just mean I'm looking in the wrong places.

2.)    Is there anyone more intimately familiar with ExternalFileField who
would be willing to give the wiki page a quick review and correct factual
errors? The extent of my edit (if I could make it) would simply be to fix the
broken schema.xml example, but it's possible other details also need
adjustments.

3.)    Is there a policy on external links in the wiki? Adding a comment with a
link to the above-mentioned blog post might be helpful to others, but if it's
going to get me flagged as a potential spammer, I'll refrain from doing it.

Thanks for your input! I'll go ahead and leave a comment if I don't hear
anything in a few days, but it seemed worth asking for best practices first.

- Demian