On 9/22/2014 6:24 AM, Bernd Fehling wrote:
> This confuses me a bit, aren't we already at 4.10.0?
>
> But CHANGES.txt of 4.10.0 doesn't know anything about 4.9.1.
>
> Is this an interim version or something about backward compatibility?

It's a bugfix release, fixing some showstopper bugs in a recent release
that is critical to the RM (Michael McCandless) and/or an organization
where he has influence or liability.  Apparently this was a more
expedient path than completely validating a 4.10 upgrade and waiting for
the 4.10.1 bugfix release.  Validating the 4.10 upgrade probably would
have taken considerably longer than simply backporting some critical
fixes to the 4.9 release that they're actually using.

The two bug fixes for Solr are a license issue and a security
vulnerability.  The bugfix list for Lucene includes fixes for some major
problems that can cause index corruption or incorrect operation.

I had thought that the CHANGES.txt list would remain the same for trunk
and the stable branch because some of those bugfixes skipped the 4.10.0
release, but it looks like that's not the case for LUCENE-5919 (the only
one that I actually investigated).  If these issues all got updated to
the 4.9.1 section of CHANGES.txt in places other than the 4.9 branch and
the 4.9.1 tag, there might be a small amount of confusion in the distant
future.  That confusion would be cleared up by looking at CHANGES.txt
for the 4.10.0 release, though.

Looks like the 4.10.1 release has been delayed a little.  I hope that
this collection of fixes makes it in there too, so that 4.10.0 is the
only release where that confusion might impact users.

Thanks,
Shawn