I guess I'm not quite sure what the point is. So can you back up a bit
and explain what problem this is trying to solve? Because all it
really appears to be doing that's not already done with stock Solr
is saving some disk space, and perhaps your "reader" SolrCloud
is having some more cycles to devote to serving queries rather
than indexing.

So I'm curious why
1> standard SolrCloud with selective hard and soft commits doesn't
satisfy the need
and
2> If <1> is not reasonable, why older-style master/slave replication
doesn't work.

Unless there's a compelling use-case for this, it seems like there's
a lot of complexity here for questionable value.

Please note I'm not saying this is a bad idea. It would just be good
to  understand what problem it's trying to solve. I'm reluctant to
introduce complexity without discussing the use-case. Perhaps
the existing code could provide a "good enough" solution.

Best,
Erick