Giovanni:

To see how this happens, consider a shard with a leader and two
followers. Assume your autocommit interval is 60 seconds on each.

This interval can expire at slightly different "wall clock" times.
Even if the servers started perfectly in synch, they can get slightly
out of sync. So, you index a bunch of docs and these replicas close
the current segment and re-open a new segment with slightly different
contents.

Now docs come in that replace older docs. The tf/idf statistics
_include_ deleted document data (which is purged on optimize). Given
that doc X an be in different segments (or, more accurately, segments
that get merged at different times on different machines), replica 1
may have slightly different stats than replica 2, thus computing
slightly different scores.

Optimizing purges all data related to deleted documents, so it all
regularizes itself on optimize.

Best,
Erick