Yeah, it's a shame such a ser/deser feature isn't available in Lucene.

My idea is to have a separate module that the Query classes can delegate to
for serialization and deserialization, handling recursion for nested query
objects, and then have modules for XML, JSON, and a pseudo-Java functional
notation (maybe closer to JavaScript) for the actual formatting and parser.
And then developers can subclass the module to add any custom Query classes
of their own.

A full JSON query ser/deser would be an especially nice addition to Solr,
allowing direct access to all Lucene Query features even if they haven't
been integrated into the higher level query parsers.

And maybe the format should have a flag for whether terms have been analyzed
or not. Then, deserialization could optionally do analysis as well.

The Solr QueryParsing.toString method shows a purely external approach to
serialization (I've done something similar myself.) This is what is output
in the "parsedquery" section of debugQuery output for a Solr query response.