I have the following problem: I have many (let's say hundreds of millions) of
documents in an existing distributed index that have a field with a variety of
values. Two of these values are "dog" and "puppy". I have decided that I want
to reclassify these to just all be "dog".

I do queries on this field, and faceting on this field, and use the stored
values from this field.

Is there a way to change all of the "puppy" terms to "dog", without actually
updating those documents? SynonymFilter would take care of the query aspect,
and the application layer could take care of translating the stored values.
But, I can't think of a way to handle merging the facet counts of the two
values together, without messing with FacetComponent and everything underneath
of it.

-Michael