Thanks Eric,

That is helpful.  We already have a process that works similarly.  Each
thread/process that sends a document to Solr waits until it gets a response
in order to make sure that the document was indexed successfully (we log
errors and retry docs that don't get indexed successfully), however we run
20-100 of these processes,depending on  throughput (i.e. we send documents
to Solr for indexing as fast as we can until they start queuing up on the
Solr end.)

Is there a way to use CUSS with XML documents?

ie my second question:
> A related question, is how to use ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer with XML
> documents
>
> I have very large XML documents, and the examples I see all build
documents
> by adding fields in Java code.  Is there an example that actually reads
XML
> files from the file system?

Tom