Erick Erickson wrote
> OK, I think this is the root of your problem:
>
> bq:  Everything was setup using the - now deprecated - tags
> <cores>
> and
> <core>
>   inside solr.xml.
>
> There are a bunch of ways this could go wrong. I'm pretty sure you
> have something that would take quite a while to untangle, so unless
> you have a _very_ good reason for making this work, I'd blow
> everything away.

I've started playing with SolrCloud before the new solr.xml made its
appearance (in the example files of 4.4 distribution If I'm not mistaken)
and since it was classified only as deprecated I decided to postpone the
transition to the new solr.xml for the migration to Solr 5.0. Anyway, what
you are saying is that the use of the new solrcloud-friendly configuration
file is accompanied by changes in SolrCloud behavior?

Erick Erickson wrote
> If you're using an external Zookeeper shut if off and, 'rm -rf
> /tmp/zookeeper'. If using embedded, you can remove zoo_data under your
> SOLR_HOME.

Do you mean getting rid of Zookeeper snapshot and transcation logs,
basically clearing things and removing zknodes like clusterstate.json,
overseer and the like?

Erick Erickson wrote
> OK, now use the Collections API to create your collection, see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API and
> go from there (don't forget to push your configs to Zookeeper first)
> and go from there.

I've successfully tried your proposed approach using the new solr.xml but
I've bypassed the collections API and added core.properties files inside my
collection directories. Directories contain no other files and configuration
has been preloaded into Zookeeper. I prefer to have everything ready before
starting the Solr servers. Do you see anything unusual there?

One last thing, what exactly is HttpShardHandlerFactory responsible for?
Because there was no such definition in the deprecated solr.xml I was using.

Thanks Erick,
Zisis T.