Thanks Hoss,

Protection from misconfiguration and/or starting separate solr instances
pointing to the same index dir I can understand.

The current documentation on the wiki and in the ref guide (along with just
enough understanding of Solr/Lucene indexing to be dangerous)  left me
wondering if maybe somehow a correctly configured Solr might have multiple
processes writing to the same file.
I'm wondering if your explanation above  might be added to the
documentation.

Tom