bq: Is adding replicas going to increase search performance?

Absolutely, assuming you've maxed out Solr. You can scale the SOLR
query/second rate nearly linearly by adding replicas regardless of
whether it's over HDFS or not.

Having multiple replicas per shard _also_ increases fault tolerance,
so you get both. Even with HDFS, though, a single replica (just a
leader) per shard means that you don't have any redundancy if the
motherboard on that server dies even though HDFS has multiple copies
of the _data_.

Best,
Erick