The way that collapse/expand is designed to be used is as follows:

The main result set will contain the collapsed group heads.

The expanded section will contain the expanded groups for the page of
results.

To render the page you iterate the main result set. For each document check
to see if there is an expanded group.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/