Where you want true Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) on each index (core or
collection), one solution is to buy Solr Enterprise from LucidWorks.

My personal practice is mostly dictated by financial decisions:

   - Each core/index has its configuration directory in a Git
   repository/branch where the Git repository software provides RBAC.
   - This relies on developers to keep a separate Solr for development, and
   then to check-in their configuration directory changes when they are
   satisfied with the changes.   This is probably a best practice anyway :)
   - "Continuous Integration" pushes the Git configuration appropriately
   when a particular branch changes.
   - The main URL "/solr" has security provided by Apache httpd on port 80
   (a reverse proxy to http://localhost:8983/solr/)
   - That port is also open, secured by IP address, to other Solr nodes in
   the cluster.
   - The /select request Handler for each core/collection is reverse
   proxied to "/search/<corename>".
   - The Solr Amin UI uses a authentication/authorization handler such that
   only the "Search Administrators" group has access to it.

The security here relies on search developers not enabling "handleSelect"
in their solrconfig.xml.    The security can also be extended by adding
security on reverse proxied URLs such as "/search/<corename>" and
"/update/<corename>" so that the client application needs to know some key,
or have access to an SSL private key file.

The downside is that only "Search Administrators" group has access to the
QA or production Solr Admin UI.