When customizing scoring beyond what's available in the Query API, there's
a couple of layers you can work in

1. Create a Solr query parser -- not too hard, just requires very light
Java/Lucene skills. This involves taking a query string and query params
from Solr and digesting them into Lucene queries. You need to work with the
existing library of Lucene queries.
2. Custom Score queries -- you want to use a built-in Lucene query to
decide what documents should *match*, but you want to customize the *score*
generated
3. Custom similarity -- you want to control how the search engine computes
factors like norms, term frequency, etc that get used in the normal scoring
process
4. Custom query -- I call this the "nuclear option" -- you want to
customize matching and scoring. how the search engine decides which
documents to return AND assigns them scores

This has come up time-to-time in my work. So I've blogged/spoken about it

http://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2014/01/20/build-your-own-custom-lucene-query-and-scorer/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotgfwNpqrs

Hope that helps,
--
*Doug Turnbull **| *Search Relevance Consultant | OpenSource Connections,
LLC | 240.476.9983 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Author: Taming Search <http://manning.com/turnbull> from Manning
Publications
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless
of whether attachments are marked as such.