On 4/16/2015 2:07 PM, Steven White wrote:
> In my case, I have to deploy Solr on Windows, AIX, and Linux (all server
> edition).  We are a WebSphere shop, moving away from it means I have to
> deal with politics and culture.

You *can* run Solr 5.0 (and 5.1) in another container, just like you
could with all previous Solr versions.  There are additional steps that
have to be taken, such as correctly installing the logging jars and the
logging config, but if you've used Solr 4.3 or later, you already know this:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging

Eventually, hopefully before we reach the 6.0 release, that kind of
deployment won't be possible, because Solr will be a true application
(like Jetty itself), not a webapp contained in a .war file.  It may take
us quite a while to reach that point.  If you are already using the
scripts that come with Solr 5.x, you will have a seamless transition to
the new implementation.

The docs for 5.0 say that we aren't supporting deployment in a
third-party servlet container, even though that still is possible.
There are several reasons for this:

* Eventually it won't be possible, because Solr's implementation will
change.

* We now have scripts that will start Solr in a consistent manner.
** This means that our instructions won't have to change for a new
implementation.

* There are a LOT of containers available.
** Each one requires different instructions.
** Are problems caused by the container, or Solr?  We may not know.

* Jetty is the only container that gets tested.
** Bugs with other containers have happened.
** User feedback is usually the only way such bugs can be found.

Thanks,
Shawn