Sure.  Here is an example of ADDREPLICA in synchronous mode:

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=addreplica&collection=293&shard=shard1_1

response:
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">1168</int>
</lst>
<lst name="success">
<lst>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">1158</int>
</lst>
<str name="core">293_shard1_1_replica2</str>
</lst>
</lst>
</response>

And here is the same in asynchronous mode:

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=addreplica&collection=293&shard=shard1_1&async=foo99

response:
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">2</int>
</lst>
<str name="requestid">foo99</str>
</response>

Note that the format of this response does NOT match the response format
that I got from the attempt at an async DELETESHARD in my earlier email.

Also note that I am now able to query for the status of this request:

http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=requeststatus&requestid=foo99

response:
<response>
<lst name="responseHeader">
<int name="status">0</int>
<int name="QTime">0</int>
</lst>
<lst name="status">
<str name="state">completed</str>
<str name="msg">found foo99 in completed tasks</str>
</lst>
</response>